Course Venue - Salomons
This historic and enchanting venue is used by APAC for play
therapy training - the Certificate in Therapeutic
Play and the Diploma in Play Therapy
courses. Salomons is a part of Canterbury Christ Church University.
Address: CCCU Salomons Campus, Broomhill Road, Southborough,
Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3 0TG
Phone: 01825 761143 - APAC's number for all enquiries about
course content and dates & 01892 515152 - The Salomons main switchboard for
messages for course participants and residential accommodation.
Website: For more information about Salomons:
Salomons is located near the village of Southborough which
is between Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells. We recommend Tonbridge as the
nearest main-line station (Charing Cross, London Bridge, Victoria and Cannon
Street London termini) - approx 15 mins by taxi. Gatwick is the nearest
airport with trains to Tonbridge via Redhill.
Directions from the M25
Take exit 5 on the M25 onto the A21(S).
In 9 miles take the A26 towards Tunbridge Wells and
Southborough. In approx 2.5 miles, at the traffic lights past the Tesco
Express store turn right into Speldhurst road. After .7 of a mile turn
left (Broomhill Road) at the sign to Salomons. The entrance is 50 yards
on the right. (Be careful of traffic coming up the hill round a blind
bend.). Runcie Court where most of APAC's training is conducted is the first
set of buildings on the right.
Drivetime Map - shows area within approximately 2 hours
drive of Salomons.
The Last Bit!
Views of Salomons
Beautiful grounds to stroll in and to unwind
The lake from the main terrace
The Runcie Court Centre where most of APAC's workshops and
seminars are held.
A Brief History of Salomons
The name of this historic house perpetuates the memory of
the two remarkable men who were largely responsible for its creation. In 1829
the first Sir David Salomons bought a very elegant small villa set in extensive
grounds and known at the time as Broomhill. Sir David soon set about converting
his new property into a substantial country house.
On his death in 1873, the First Sir David was succeeded by
his nephew, David Lionel Salomons, who was an electrician, an engineer and a
craftsman in wood, ivory and metal and an accomplished photographer.
Acting as his own architect throughout (with the exception of The Stables), he
threw himself into a programme of further extensions and additions which lasted
until the outbreak of the First World War.
In 1876 the Water Tower was completed and in 1882 the
workshops. Next came The Stables and in 1894 work was commenced on The Theatre
- the largest privately constructed Theatre in England at the time, to which he
attached a photographic studio, dark rooms and a chemical laboratory. This work
was completed within two years. The last building works to be undertaken were
the garages, the library (now the Dining Room) and the top storey of the main
house. Throughout, Salomons employed local labour, stone from a local quarry
and bricks made on the Estate.
By 1896 a dynamo had been installed to provide Broomhill
with electricity for 1,000 16 candle power lights. Broomhill was the first
building in the country to use electricity for cooking and other domestic work.
In 1938 the name of Broomhill was changed to David Salomons
House when it was presented to Kent County Council by Vera Bryce Salomons - the
last surviving daughter of Sir David Lionel. Residential facilities were
subsequently developed with the construction of two accommodation buildings,
named Broomhill and Greenwich. Broomhill was later converted to offices and
Greenwich was refurbished in 1997 to provide en-suite single, twin and double
rooms available for guests using the House facilities. Salomons was
divested to Canterbury Christ Church College. The Greenwich residential
accommodation at Salomons was subsequently re-named Canterbury House and in
February 1999 Salomons changed its corporate identity in line with
Canterbury's. The College became a University College in October 1999 and
achieved full University status (Canterbury Christ Church
University) in 2005.
More history at: www.salomonscentre.org.uk/history